Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tweet, Tweet

In that collossal black hole of information known as the worldwide web, I somehow stumbled across a “tweet” about my book, MR. MALCOLM’S LIST. A college student from Dublin said regarding it: “Liked 'Mr. Malcolm's List'. A little too didactic perhaps, but a sweet story.”

My reactions to this tweet were many and varied. My first reaction was to look up the word “didactic” in a dictionary. I thought I knew what it meant, but felt I must be mistaken because I couldn’t imagine such an adjective applied to my novel. For those of you who have only a hazy idea what the word means, here’s a definition:

1. Intended to instruct.
2. Morally instructive.
3. Inclined to teach or moralize excessively.

I really thought I had written just an entertaining piece of fluff, and had no idea it was morally instructive. I wonder just what my message was? Don’t write lists? However, she wasn’t the only one to feel it had some sort of moral (someone on Goodreads said something similar) so I must have slipped one in there without even realizing it.

I was mostly excited that a student in Dublin had even heard of MR. MALCOLM’S LIST, had read it, and had liked it. It always amazes me when I stumble across people who have read my book. Of course, since I eagerly scour the internet looking for such people I guess it’s not too surprising that I’ve found a dozen or so.

I had a not-so-pleasant experience with a review today. I’ve gotten such great, unsolicited reviews (no, I didn’t bribe these people) on Amazon.com and other sites that I was surprised how painful it was to get a less than glowing review. However, it was only one person’s opinion, and opinions are always subjective and, in this person's case, wrong.

At least, that's my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I usually offer the advice to take from the review what you can use, learn from it, and move on. Recently, however, I "overheard" that as authors, we write for a target audience. Therefore, if a reviewer doesn't like your book, then he/she is not your target audience. Either way, the review is just one person's opinion (like you said) and doesn't really matter in the grand scheme.

    No matter what anybody else thinks, I still plan to read your book. :o)

    ReplyDelete